This hidden gem is found tucked away in the French Pyrenees, close to the picturesque village of Corsavy. Off the beaten track, this route should be on the ‘to do’ list of anyone with a sense of adventure and the need to explore, as the virtually panoramic views offer an incredible perspective of the Pyrenees.
The best news is you don’t have to be an expert mountaineer to conquer this peak! The ascent leaves directly from La Taillede and is an easy-to-follow track that leaves little chance of you getting lost.
So, the route:
Peak: Le col de l’Estagnol, 1669m
Distance : 20km
Ascent: 3 hrs, 740m approx
Descent: 2 hrs approx.
- Set off down the track from La Taillede and when it forks, take the right prong. Continue onto the grassy trail which gives you a hint of the views to come, passing the old building on your right.
- Pass through the white gate and follow the path round to the left. You’ll notice that you’re now under a canape of trees.
- When the terrain changes to white stone, be sure to follow the track on the right which zig-zags up the mountain.
- The track will eventually split where you must turn right. Continue to zig-zag and take a right when the track splits for a second time.
- When the path forks, take the left and come back on yourself slightly, following the VTT signs.
- The track is fairly straight for a while and then turns sharply right. Continue until the path opens up into a field. Cross the field along the path (which becomes less visible), making sure the rocks are on your right and you’ll come across a map of the mountains.
- The track gets slightly steeper here and veers to the left. You’ll then follow the path round to the right, arriving at another field. You’re nearly there! The rocks in the distance are next to the peak but to get the best views, head slightly left to the other set of rocks overlooking the Pyrenees.
- Take the same route back down to La Taillede where the challenge ends but the views continue!