This route saves the best views until last, making the 9km hike up to the top well worth it. It starts directly from La Taillede and initially follows the same track as for the Pic de l’Estagnol, however it turns off slightly earlier and culminates in a challenging final push.
Peak: Pic de la Souque, 1626m
Ascent: 2hrs, 720m approx
Descent: 1h40 approx
Here is the route:
1. From La Taillede, set off down the track and take a right when it forks.
2. Follow it round with the valley appearing on your left and go past the old barn on your right.
3. Pass through the white gate and when you reach the stoney path, zig-zag up the mountain.
4. When you reach the turn-off point at La Creu de Leca, the track becomes grassier and slightly less obvious. Continue following this track and when it forks take the left, following the narrower path and not the steep stoney one.
5. A bit further up you will see an even narrower path crossing the one you are on. Turn right and follow the now signposted path up to the top.
The peak is extremely peaceful and the 360 views are beautiful. You’re likely to spot birds of prey circling the mountain tops and maybe even a few lost sheep!
You can descend via the same route or there are a few options for slightly alternative routes down.